Tuesday, March 27, 2012

Making a Dent

Several years ago I was commissioned to make seven ladies Dickens costumes in six weeks. It was quite a challenge, especially since I had never made bonnets before, but I managed! I think this month, I've made the most costume pieces since! Or at least thats what it feels like! I completed the Regency overdress in a lovely pistachio green, but I unfortunately don't have any photos. I was in too much of a hurry to get it shipped. It looks similar to the completed one in my previous post, just with shorter ungathered sleeves. I also finished two Renaissance faire style bodices in burgundy and blue.

I actually started this bodice years ago but only finished this month. Part of my effort to clean out my fabric/half finished project stash. The shirt was also completed this month. 

Blue bodice, a sort of twill fabric with a sueded finish. This bodice was cut several months ago and finished last week. This bodice is available here.

This is very similar to the set I finished a few weeks ago but this one is a none stretch fabric and I added a braided trim to the front. If I attended Renaissance faires I'd totally keep it. But since I don't, its available here.

And my favorite piece of just finished awesomeness, a cape. I don't know the exact history of this cape, it was given to me by a friend. It was obviously well loved and needed to be repaired. The seams were coming apart and there were some small holes near the hem. So I took it completely apart, re-stitched the main part and trimmed the bottom. As I was working it occurred to me that it was a little plain and needed some sprucing up. I had created the Celtic patterned stencil some years ago and I thought it would make a great pattern for this cape. I traced it out and stitched and then finished putting it all together. I just love how it looks! I'll bet my friend wasn't expecting this! (Oh, this one is available here.)

No comments:

Post a Comment