Thursday, June 23, 2011

Slight Costume Break...

I decided to take a brief break from my costume pieces so I could work on my other project, Di Nuovo. Di Nuovo (it means "again" in Italian) is my line of purses and bags that are made from mostly recycled materials and leftover fabrics from my costume projects. I never liked the idea of throwing away clothes or fabric scraps since I've always felt there was something that could be done with them. So here it is!

There's just a few items right now in my Etsy store but more items will be added weekly and coupons will be available to facebook fans monthly! 

Di Nuovo Etsy page:

Thursday, June 9, 2011


Its been a busy week so far! The voile Regency gown was finished Sunday and I immediately started the Steampunk gown on Monday! I've never made anything from the Victorian era or a Steampunk ensemble so this is a fun new challenge for me. I'm basing the look off of a Truly Victorian pattern. I decided to do the skirt first and so far its been pretty easy. I always do French seams where I can and I started using a quilter's scant quarter inch foot to ensure precise seam sizes. I love it!

 I added a pleated hem to the apron in dark gold. I plan on adding the same hem to the skirt, just as soon as I finish pleating. All by hand with a ruler and pins! Oh, if you've never tried setting pleats with vinegar water I highly recommend it. I'm not sure why its so effective but it sets the pleats really well!

Here is the draped skirt and a close-up of the pleats. I'm not quite sure what other embellishments I'll add. My process tends to evolve as I go rather than me map it all out. But for now, this is where its at!  

Sunday, June 5, 2011

The Pink and White Voile Regency Gown

Due to school keeping me so busy over the last several weeks my progress on this gown was rather slow. But low and behold I have finally completed it! I have to say, this might be the most labor intensive dress I have done... It was based off of the La Mode Bagatelle pattern, which I have never used before. I added some trim:

And then the beading commenced. I wanted this dress to shimmer! I know metal sequins have been found as far back as ancient Egypt but plastic sequins didn't make an appearance until sometime in the first half of the twentieth century. If anyone happens to know where a more historical sequin can be found please let me know!

I also did some decorative stitching on the skirt for added detail. Slowly the rest came together with French seams and more lace, beads and pearls. The finished gown was actually more lovely than I had imagined. The finished photos can be viewed here. Feel free to fan the page while you're there!

This gown is currently for sale. If you are interested please leave me a comment here or send me a message on Facebook and I will contact you regarding the details!