Wednesday, April 11, 2012

Finished- Victorian!

This post is a few days late, but better late than never! I finished the blue Victorian that I've been working on for eons, last Friday. I just love the feeling of having large costumes completed! I had intended on this dress being more Steampunk but it ended up turning into this. I'll have to slowly work into using hardware instead of "frilly" adornments... ;-)

The bottom of the bodice was fixed so the edges are even, the buttons repositioned for a smoother front, and all those hand made yo-yo's stitched on! 

I realize that yo-yo flowers may not be period accurate but I have to admit I didn't do a lot of research on them. And Dorset buttons were more popular in earlier decades and eras but I thought they looked nice on anyways. Plus I couldn't find any store-bought ones I really liked. 

All these yo-yo's made me really thankful I bought the whole set of circular shapes!

Close-up of the buttons and a bit of the button holes. This was my first time applying hand bound button holes to a costume. I really like the look and it was pretty easy to do! 

I will say though, next time I plan on making a lot of pleats I will be buying a pleat board first. I made this pleated trim using a vinegar/water mix. The smell dissipates really quickly and the fabric stays set pretty much forever. 

I'd also like a completed bustle before making the next gown! This took a lot of careful measuring to make sure it would be even when worn! Plus my dress form is crooked. When I purchased it, the box was trashed and the form was bent. I've never been able to straighten it completely so it takes a bit of doubl-checking before I finish things. 

I have to say I'm happy with how it turned out, especially as this was my first Victorian. I had cut it to my measurements but unfortunately it ended up being several sizes too small, otherwise I might have modeled it myself!