Thursday, July 28, 2011

Steampunk-esq Victorian Gown Update

So its been a little while since I sat down to focus on finishing the Victorian as most of my attention has been towards Di Nuovo (see previous post). The gown isn't looking as steampunk as I'd hoped but its got a bit of that flair to it. I finished pleating all of the trim and attached it to the skirt hems. And let me just say, hand pleating a row roughly ten yards long without the added help of a pleat board certainly takes some patience! I set the pleats with vinegar water and it gave them a nice crisp finish. 

I also added some gold piping to the bodice and started creating the little yo-yo flowers to accent the neckline. I'll add some to the skirt as well since its looking a little plain. Luckily I ordered templates several months ago for the flowers so I can whip those out pretty quick! 

As you can see in some of these photos there are some fabric issues like wrinkling. I steamed and pressed the fabric before starting but nothing with get them out! 

There's just a few things left to do to finish. I'll be closing up the front with buttons. I couldn't find any that I liked that matched both the colors and the style I was going for so I decided to continue with the slightly fantastical flair and hand make them. I'm working on ten crosswheel Dorset buttons in the same color thread as the gold trim, yay matching! Here's the buttons in red:

This gown should be finished over the next several days so stay tuned for the finished photos! It will also be available for purchase in my Etsy store, as well as a few other costume pieces and the buttons pictured above.

No comments:

Post a Comment